Love meatballs? Love Pizza? How about a meatball caramelised onion pizza? YUM. This one hardly got out of the oven before our experienced pizza testers woofed it! Give it a go and let us know what you think.
meatball caramelised onion pizza
- 400g Ritchies pork mince
- ½ small red onion, very finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes, finely sliced
- 4 single serve pizza bases or 4 home made pizza bases
- basil leaves (optional)
meatball caramelised onion pizza method
Preheat oven to 220oC.
First make the caramelised onion.
In a medium frying pan on a medium heat add the olive oil, sliced onion, and thyme. Cook, stirring regularly until the onion is soft and golden – about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. Remove from the heat.
Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
In a medium bowl add the pork mince, finely diced onion, ground fennel, chilli flakes (if you’re using them) and season very generously. Using clean hands, mix the meat ball mixture until it becomes slightly sticky. Roll into small balls about 1.5 cm across. Place on the lined tray.
Place the pizza bases on oven trays. Spread each one with the olive oil, caramelised onion, and the thyme mixture. Sprinkle each with a mixture of both grated mozzarella and tasty cheeses. Dot generously with meat balls and slices of cherry tomatoes. If you like things spicy, scatter with chilli flakes.
Bake in the hot preheated oven for about 12 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden, and the small meatballs are cooked through.
Scatter with basil leaves and serve straight from the oven while they are still piping hot.
Serves 4.Preperation time. 20 minutes. Cooking time 25 minutes.