Here’s a simple Mediterranean baked chicken dish packed with flavours. If you’re looking for a dish to feed the family or even a hoard, then this dish should take pride of place in the centre of your table.
Mediterranean baked chicken
- 2 small Ritchies chickens
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion peeled and cut in 8
- 1 large red capsicum seeded and cut in chunks
- 800g medium sized waxy potatoes like Dutch cream scrubbed and cut in half length ways
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh oregano and thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried oregano and 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 small bunches of cherry tomatoes on the vine
Preheat oven to 200oC
Mediterranean baked chicken method
In a large roasting pan, add the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss to coat in oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
Using a solid sharp bladed knife cut the chickens in half, season inside and out. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Add the red onion, and chicken to the roasting pan with the potatoes. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and scatter with herbs. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven again, add the wine and capsicum chunks, and, use a large spoon, baste any pan juices over the chicken and other vegetables. Cook for another 20 minutes then baste again and add the tomatoes. After 1 hour, the chicken should be cooked thorough and golden, the tomatoes just starting ton collapse and the vegetables should be tender and slightly caramelized. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread to mop up the pan juices.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 1 hour.